Welcome to the “Fall Fling” Crochet Hat and Scarf Pattern set! This free pattern is perfect for embracing the cozy vibes of autumn. The hat and scarf patterns are designed for adult sizes and feature a beautiful ribbing brim for the hat and ribbing ends for the scarf.
Get ready to crochet your way to a stylish and warm accessory set that will keep you snug during the fall season. Whether you’re strolling through colorful foliage or sipping pumpkin spice lattes, this pattern set is a must-have for any crochet enthusiast. Best of all, it’s free and beginner-friendly, so everyone can join in on the Fall Fling fun!
Also, before you go, be sure to check out my many other free crochet hat patterns!
Advanced beginner. Projects may include involved stitch patterns, color work, and/or shaping.
- H/5 mm crochet hook for hat and scarf
- I/5.5 mm crochet hook for ribbing brim for hat
- J/6 mm crochet hook for ribbing ends for scarf
- Worsted weight yarn (#4). I used Red Heart Super Saver in soft white, burgundy, carrot, gold and turqua
- Tapestry needle
- Stitch markers
- extra large pom pom maker
- Hot melt adhesive
Gauge is important for this pattern
7 stitches and 4 rows = 2 inches
Hat & Scarf Size Chart
|Adult||20-23 inches||7.75 inches|
Scarf measures 69 inches long.
- This pattern starts with a magic circle (also known as a magic ring or adjustable ring). If you are a beginner crocheter, check out my magic circle tutorial.
- Leave a long yarn tail for weaving in when you make your magic circle.
- The beginning of each round starts with a chain. This chain does not count as your first stitch.
- At the end of each round, you’ll join your yarn with a slip stitch (sl st) to the first stitch made in that round.
- Repeat instructions between asterisks (*) for the remainder of the round.
- You are crocheting in the round.
- Hat is worked from the top down.
- Color changes are made when you join in the round.
- Hat ribbing is worked separately in rows and sewn to the hat.
- dc = double crochet
- hdc = half double crochet
- sc = single crochet
- blo = back loop only
- st = stitch
- sts = stitches
- sl st = slip stitch
- ch = chain
- chs = chains
- rnd = round
- rnds = rounds
- rem = remaining
Double Crochet (dc)
- Yarn over and insert hook in next stitch.
- Yarn over and pull up a loop. You will have 3 loops on your hook.
- Yarn over and pull through 2 loops. You will have 2 loops on your hook.
- Yarn over and pull through remaining 2 loops on your hook.
Single Crochet (sc)
- Insert hook in next stitch.
- Yarn over and pull up a loop. You will have 2 loops on your hook.
- Yarn over and pull through both loops.
Half Double Crochet (hdc)
- Firstly, yarn over & insert hook in next stitch.
- Then, yarn over and pull up a loop. You will have 3 loops on your hook.
- Lastly, yarn over and pull through all 3 loops on your hook.
Fall Fling Crochet Hat Pattern
Rnd 2: ch 2, 2 dc in each st, join (22 stitches)
Rnd 3: ch 2, *2 dc, dc in next st*, join (33 stitches)
Rnd 4: ch 2, *2 dc, dc in next 2 sts*, join (44 stitches)
soft white yarn
Rnd 5: ch 2, *2 dc, dc in next 10 sts*, join (48 stitches)
Rnd 6: ch 2, *2 dc, dc in next 11 sts*, join (52 stitches)
Rnd 7: ch 2, *2 dc, dc in next 12 sts*, join (56 stitches)
Rnd 8: ch 2, *2 dc, dc in next 13 sts*, join (60 stitches)
soft white yarn
Rnd 9: ch 2, *2 dc, dc in next 14 sts*, join (64 stitches)
Rnd 10: ch 2, dc in each st, join (64 stitches)
Rnd 11: ch 2, dc in each st, join (64 stitches)
Rnd 12: ch 2, dc in each st, join (64 stitches)
soft white yarn
Rnd 13: ch 2, dc in each st, join (64 stitches)
Rnd 14: ch 2, dc in each st, join (64 stitches)
Rnd 15: ch 2, dc in each st, join (64 stitches)
Rnd 16: ch 2, dc in each st, join (64 stitches)
soft white yarn
Rnd 17: ch 2, dc in each st, join and fasten off (64 stitches)
Ribbing for Hat Brim Instructions
Row 1: ch 7, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each rem ch, turn (6 stitches)
Row 2: ch 1, sc in each st blo, turn (6 stitches)
Row 3-64: rep row 2
Use your tapestry needle to sew the brim to the hat.
Make sure each stitch from the hat lines up with a row from the brim. You have 64 stitches and 64 rows.
The brim will stretch as you go. Sew the seam where the two ends of the brim meet.
Pom Pom for Hat
Photos are from my LOVE Beanie.
Use your large Pom Pom maker.
Firmly and evenly wind your yarn around each set of arches. After the first set of arches, close them and then wind your yarn around the second set.
Cut the yarn between each set of arches.
Use your scrap piece of yarn to tie the pom pom. I recommend you double/triple knot it.
Carefully open the arches.
Use a hot melt adhesive to place a dab of glue in the center of the pom pom. This will help prevent it from unraveling.
Fluff your pom pom and trim any long ends.
Use a tapestry needle to attach your pom pom to the top of your hat.
Fall Fling Crochet Scarf Pattern
Ribbing for Scarf Ends Instructions
Row 1: ch 19, sc in 2nd ch from hook and each rem ch, turn (18)
Row 2: ch 1, sc in each st blo, turn (18)
Row 3-20: rep row 2
Fasten off the first ribbing you make and set aside. This will get sewn onto the end of the scarf.
Don’t fasten off after you make the second ribbing.
Main Section for Scarf Instructions
Switch to the H/5 mm crochet hook
Begin where you left off for second ribbing.
Row 1: ch 2, hdc once in the top of each row of the ribbing, turn (20 stitches)
Row 2: ch 2, hdc in each st, turn (20 stitches)
Rows 3- 138: repeat row 2 following and repeating the color sequence below
Line up the other ribbing you made. Sew each stitch from the scarf to one row from the ribbing. Weave in all of your ends.