Crochet Safari Animals Blanket
Embark on an exciting crochet safari with this free C2C safari animals blanket pattern. Get ready to encounter the majestic lion, the gentle elephant, the graceful giraffe, the playful hippo, the striking zebra, and the mysterious hyena.
This pattern is perfect for crochet enthusiasts of all skill levels, as well as those looking to try the corner-to-corner technique. By creating colorful squares that showcase each animal, you’ll bring the captivating beauty of the safari into your crochet project. The finished blanket will be a delightful addition to any nursery or a unique gift for a wildlife enthusiast.
So grab your crochet hooks and join me on this safari adventure as we stitch together a crochet blanket with safari animals filled with the wonders of the African wilderness. Get ready to explore and create cherished memories with this C2C safari animals blanket pattern!
Be sure to check out my other free crochet blanket patterns before you go!
Don’t know how to crochet corner to corner (C2C) crochet? No worries! I have created a C2C course. VISIT C2C COURSE!
Advanced beginner. Projects may include involved stitch patterns, color work, and/or shaping.
45 inches by 67 inches
- G/4 mm crochet hook
- Worsted weight yarn. I used Red Heart Super Saver. See each safari animal pattern for specific colors.
- tapestry needle
- locking stitch markers
Gauge is not very important for this pattern.
4 squares (ch 3 + 3 dc) = 2 inches
- dc = double crochet
- sc = single crochet
- ch = chain
- chs = chains
- st = stitch
- sts = stitches
- sl st = slip stitch
- You can choose to follow the pixel graph or the written instructions.
- Written instructions are for working from the bottom right corner to the top left.
- Crochet the pixel graph using the corner-to-corner (c2c) technique. Use the traditional method of making three double crochets for each square.
- Chain 6 to start each new row and chain 3 at the beginning of each square.
- If you prefer to purchase a printable PDF of this pattern, visit my Etsy Shop.
Crochet Stitches & Techniques
Double Crochet (dc)
- Yarn over & insert hook in next stitch.
- Yarn over and pull up a loop. You will have 3 loops on your hook.
- Yarn over and pull through 2 loops. You will have 2 loops on your hook.
- Yarn over and pull through remaining 2 loops on your hook.
Single Crochet (sc)
- Insert hook in next stitch.
- Yarn over and pull up a loop. You will have 2 loops on your hook.
- Yarn over and pull through both loops.
Half Double Crochet (hdc)
- Firstly, yarn over & insert hook in next stitch.
- Then, yarn over and pull up a loop. You will have 3 loops on your hook.
- Lastly, yarn over and pull through all 3 loops on your hook.
Corner to Corner (C2C)
Corner to corner (C2C) crochet is a technique where you crochet “squares” in diagonal rows. You start start in the bottom right corner and end in the opposite top left corner. Each row is increased by one square. Each square in the graph = chain 3 + 3 double crochet.
Increases are made at the end of each row. To make an increase you will chain 6, dc in the 4th chain from your hook and dc in each of the 2 remaining chains.
You will have a chain 3 + 3 dc square. This is your first square for the beginning of the next row. Turn your work and join with a slip stitch to the chain 3 space from the last square made.
The first decreases for both the width and length will create corners.
To make a decrease, when you reach the end of the row, you will turn your work and slip stitch across the 3 dc’s in the last square made. Join with a slip stitch to the chain 3 space and chain 3 + 3 dc.
Step 1: Crochet Safari Animals Blanket
Firstly, crochet each safari animal pattern. Click on the title or image below to go to that pattern.
Lion Crochet Safari Animal Pattern
I used Red Heart Super Saver yarn in White, Black, Buff, Cafe Latte and Baby Pink
Elephant Crochet Safari Animal Pattern
I used Red Heart Super Saver yarn in White, Black, Light Gray, Dusty Grey and Baby Pink
Giraffe Crochet Safari Animal Pattern
I used Red Heart Super Saver yarn in White, Black, Buff, Coffee and Cafe Latte
Hippo Crochet Safari Animal Pattern
I used Red Heart Super Saver yarn in White, Black, Aran, Light Gray, Dusty Grey and Baby Pink
Zebra Crochet Safari Animal Pattern
I used Red Heart Super Saver yarn in White, Black, and Dusty Grey
Hyena Crochet Safari Animal Pattern
I used Red Heart Super Saver yarn in White, Black, Buff, and Cafe Latte
Step 2: Crochet Safari Animals Blanket
After you crochet each C2C safari animal, decide how you to arrange them. I decided to make my safari animals blanket two squares wide and three squares long.
Make sure all of your safari animals are facing the right way!
Line up the single crochet stitches from the borders. You can use locking stitch markers to keep them lined up.
Sew the two squares in each row together, then sew the three rows together.
Weave in all of your loose ends.
Step 3: Crochet Safari Animals Blanket
Now it’s time to add a border.
I made a simple half double crochet border.
Crochet Blanket Border Instructions
Choose a starting point. Join the White yarn, ch 2 and hdc in each st. In each corner work (hdc, ch 2, hdc).
Weave in your ends.